MaineHousing’s Multifamily Home Energy Loan Program (Multifamily HELP) offers 4.75% fixed rate financing to improve the energy efficiency of eligible affordable housing developments and reduce project operating costs. Property owners who make improvements identified in an energy audit may reduce energy consumption by 15-20% annually.
Borrowers pay third-party fees such as the cost of the energy audit, title update, credit report, recording fee, and (in some cases) appraisal of the property. These fees may be included in the loan.
Multifamily HELP loans may be used to finance:
Improvements financed with a Multifamily HELP loan must be recommended by a certified energy auditor and approved by MaineHousing. The cumulative Savings to Investment Ratio for all improvements financed with the Multifamily HELP loan must be 1 or greater.
- Heating system repair and replacement (including alternative fuel sources)
- Insulation, air sealing and weather stripping (required if replacing a heating system)
- Energy Star rated windows and appliances
- Storm doors and storm windows
- Ventilation and moisture controls
- Roof repairs (if the attic is insulated to R60)
You may be eligible if you are an owners of a multifamily property in the MaineHousing portfolio that:
- Is in good standing on compliance issues.
- Is eligible for the MaineHousing Subsequent Loan Program.
- Has an existing loan to value of 85% or less (including all loans to the property)
- Has the capacity to meet the repayment terms of the new loan.
Contact the Asset Manager assigned to your property to find out if you are eligible.
For more information, see the related information and links listed at the top of the page, or contact:
Asset Management Department